View Single Post
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 15:19   #9
yostumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
I have a CTEC charger with a set of permanent connection wires that have a plug connector for the charger. I secure the + to the terminal using an attachment bolt on the clamp which seems to be there for the purpose and the - is bolted to one of the near side slam panel attachment bolts. The charger is permanently plugged into the connection and lives strapped in behind the nearside headlight housing and when I want to charge the battery I run out an extension lead to the car and pug the charger into it. If over night the charger cable can exit in the wing gap over the headlight and the bonnet can be closed.

The reason for not connecting a charger across the battery terminal posts is that the car has a battery monitoring system which is shorted out if you do connect across the terminals. While this might appear to be a nuisance, it is the monitoring system which tells you the battery charge state which is why you get warning of a low battery rather than not finding out until it's flat.
Thanks for this, just got my 16 plate Xc70 D5, (Euro 6) and had the message come up as well. I too have a ctek charger and was going to bolt it in yesterday, lucky i didn't,. Would it have been an expensive mistake, or simply a re-boot type thing. After 20 years in an old landrover, these things are scary.
yostumpy is offline   Reply With Quote