View Single Post
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 14:49   #3
Moose Test
Master Member

Whilst the connector has the form factor of a relay base, the unit isn't a simple relay. Volvo refer to it as the "Servotronic module" and it's actually a digitally controlled current source, which directly drives the fluid bypass value on a speed sensitive rack based on signals from the CAN bus. The drive is proportional to road speed, not all-or-nothing.

That said, it was an option on most models so there's no guarantee that yours is "missing", it may never have been fitted. I don't know without looking but if you have access to VIDA, I'd be surprised if this option wasn't listed in the car's configuration data along with the factory-fitted status (i.e. originally fitted, or not).

Failing that, you could give a local dealer your chassis number and ask them for the part number for the module. They should be able to tell whether your vehicle was actually supplied with one, and if so, even if you don't go on purchase a brand new module from them, the part number is still useful - these turn up on ebay a lot but to guarantee plug-and-play compatibility with your particular vehicle you need to fit exactly the same part number (there are many variants).

And even failing that, you could always try the one from your V8, which would have that option fitted as standard. It's not going to cause any harm if your D5 doesn't actually have the software and/or speed sensitive rack option fitted.