Thread: V50 Engine 2.0D : - Possible clogged EGR Valve?
View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2022, 21:27   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey427 View Post
Hi All,

Recently got a 2008 Volvo V50 2.0L diesel. It didn't cover many miles when the last owner had it, then sat at the car dealer for a while. The dealer said it had sat there not really used for about 6 months while they replaced parts. said that it had an engine light on that was a faulty EGR valve sensor which they replaced and got rid of the light.

Slight problem right now is that when its started from cold, the engine is slightly jerky at idle. Feels like its vibrating and is a little unsettled. (Not enough fluctuation to see anything on the RPM gauge though) Once the engine gets warm, its still a very slight but much less noticeable vibration. It also has a similar vibration at some RPMs when cruising. Nothing on acceleration, only after a few seconds holding a constant RPM.

Last thing is the car kicks out black smoke when heavily accelerating.

I'm leaning towards a clogged EGR valve, as that would link to the sensor going faulty.

Just seeing if any one has any suggestions to check the valve without taking the car to pieces? Are there sensors that check how its operating and is there a way to see this?

Thanks!
Those are also the symptoms of going through a flood and sucking in water bending a connecting rod . It might explain why someone got rid of it . The black smoke is something else , you should have a particle filter on it.