Thread: 240 General: - Volvo 244 dl
View Single Post
Old Apr 22nd, 2021, 17:13   #9
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie volvo244 dl View Post
Hi thank you for your help and I’m bot to sure I have had it for a little while and I was just deciding what to do with it I’m not driving it and I didn’t want it to go to waste and just sit there so I was trying to find it a nice home to go to. Would you recommend holding onto it or just to get rid of it ? I have attached some photos of the vehicle aswell if this will help.
We are all happy to help wherever we can on this forum - we all like 240s.

I see the car has not had a MoT since 2011, so I'm guessing you have had it laid up for that time. The car looks like a perfectly nice 244DL, but it is hard to see its condition from some photos - the real devil will be rust, but you can check this yourself, it will be obvious if it has affected your car badly. The car hasn't been used for a decade, so there may be a fair bit of re-commissioning to do, 244s are pretty simple cars though.

The way the car is now (no MoT and been standing for a decade) you could probably get a grand to £1,500 for it. With a MoT probably £2,000 to £2,500, so I'd say it would be worth getting it through a test. I'd be tempted to just put it in for the MoT test and see what happens - at the very least you will know what is wrong with it. The downside is that if it fails every prospective buyer will be able to see that as well.

Next year the car will be MoT exempt, and in 2023 it will be tax exempt as an Historic Vehicle. Those things will definitely increase the car's desirability and its value will rise by 50% to 100% overnight. If you want to sell the car and maximise its value I'd say get it re-commissioned and through a MoT now, it will be MoT exempt from 31 July 2022 and tax exempt from 1 April 2023 (assuming the government doesn't change the rules).

You asked whether you should keep the car or sell it: I'd say definitely get it back on the road, keep it and enjoy running a cool Volvo 244 - but then I really like 244s (I have one), so I would say that, wouldn't I?

If you wanted to find a good home for the car rather than maximise its price for sale then I'd definitely suggest advertising it on the sales pages of this forum (which I think is free). There are always people looking for nice 244s here and I'm pretty sure you would find an enthusiast that would take on the project and end up with a very nice car. If you wanted to do that I'd suggest something like £1,000-£1,500 would be a fair price without a MoT test.

Thank you for sharing your car with us, I think it is very nice.

Good fortune,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Apr 22nd, 2021 at 17:23. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: