View Single Post
Old Oct 19th, 2013, 11:17   #30
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivea View Post
Ive had mine for nearly 4 years and at first I was worried about rising oil levels such that i checked it weekly using the "technicians" mini-dipstick. Then the various recalls were implemented and I still kept checking it, but in nearly 40000 miles I have never had any rise in oil level, nor does it seem to use any either. So I don't check the dipstick so regularly now only about every 1000 miles. But I do use the electronic more frequently. My wife's little Nissan (07) does an electronic check and read out at every start, without having to do something separate as per the XC70!
You should trust the electronic dipstick its extremely accurate , you don't have access to the instant readout but adding just a Tea cup of oil and it is detected accurately when running ! although takes 20 miles to adapt to any major level change ... it hides in the background and you will soon know about it if the level is too high or too low with a message in the dash . So if it's hiding away all is well! thats how volvos work these days .. for a clutter-free dash display .. You never ever see the temperature do you , that is beacuse like all old volvos the temperature gauge was always dead centre whatever the conditions so never worth looking at ..