View Single Post
Old Jan 11th, 2023, 23:42   #3
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5Terry View Post
I've had my C70 for one year and its been great apart from one really annoying issue. The bloody headlights come on in headlight switch position 0, apparently as a poor mans DRL feature.

I have lost count of the number of times either my wife, or me, have driven off in the dark without remembering to turn the light switch to on. So I have decided to get this 'feature' disabled.

Does anyone know if this is something that can be done through VIDA or will it mean a trip to a main dealer?

What really drives me nuts is that the car is fitted with Xenon HID Bulbs and you aren't supposed to turn them on and off quickly as it can shorten their lifespan. But if you start the car with the headlight switch in position 0 then you have to turn them off to get to the on position.

So the sooner I can get the DRL feature disabled the better. Then I will replace the HID bulbs as they will have been on for quite a long time over the cars 54,000 mile life.

Any advice will be much appreciated.
Main dealer only as the car needs a software update to allow the switch to work "correctly" ie, Off > side lights > headlights

Some volvo main dealers will tell you "its illegal" , which it IS on a 11 plate or newer car, but perfectly legal on older cars ,

Quote:
Vehicle manufacturers must fit DRL to new types of passenger car and light goods vehicle (car derived vans) type approved to European vehicle requirements from February 2011[footnote 1] . In practice this means that any new model launched after this date, and many launched before, will be fitted with DRL. However, existing models on sale before this date without DRL fitted can continue to be sold and used indefinitely
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...running-lights

the Road traffic and lighting act and revisions of Cover all types of natural lighting and when you Should turn lights on and which ones, so your covered there,, (wait for the wails of the cant see a car unless the lights are on in Good lighting/good visibility folks then ask them why there guide dog is driving as all conditions Are covered by existing legislation, ,,,yes pet hate of mine )