View Single Post
Old Jun 9th, 2021, 16:57   #14
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw244gl View Post
Thanks yes i found that site which is cool.

the carburetta really could do with a overhaul kit ( jets /diathram Ect) . Just to make it run better , been told.
also it has a crack in the following part circled, but not manage to find that or the jets yet.

i also did find out it was built in 1980
Car completed. 14 November 1980
Country of delivery Marlow, UK
There is not much wrong with the Pierburg 175CD as long as it is adjusted properly, this link should take you to the Volvo green book covering the carburettors (it covers all the makes, but they are quite similar):

http://www.myvolvolibrary.info/Tech_...el_Systems.pdf

... before you start spending big bucks on new parts I'd suggest going through the setup scheme to make sure everything is adjusted properly. I'd be surprised if the jets themselves were worn enough to upset things, it is more likely that one of the soft parts like the diaphragm or a gasket is leaking air. The jets probably just need blowing through with compressed air. If that doesn't solve the problem then getting the service kit from Brookhouse Parts for £45 would be sensible.

I'm not sure which part is cracked on your car, here is a photo of what the top of the carburettor is supposed to look like:

- you should be able to identify the cracked bit from the Volvo green book, once you have a part number tracking a replacement down should be much easier.

I understand what you mean about getting the car going to help your uncle: in that case you don't want to spend too much. The biggest benefit will be getting it looking smart (clean) and running properly.

It is good news that the car was registered in 1980 - as long as the V5 says that you should be able to register the car as an Historic Vehicle and so qualify for exemption from tax now (it will already be exempt from the MoT). The details of how you do that are here:

... so get yourself down to the post office with the V5 saying it was registered in November 1980, the insurance and an exemption from MoT declaration (V112). That will increase the value of your uncle's car from whatever it is now by between 50 and 100%.

Good fortune.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jun 9th, 2021 at 17:26. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: