Thread: Bumper pitting
View Single Post
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 14:45   #13
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Anodising aluminium is a cheap and easy process. The shininess of the finish is dependant on the surface finish of the original material. Dye can be added to colour the finish. Thousands of pub ash trays for example. It's a type of corrosion that leaves a protective coating on the surface. Without polishing the old finish down to below the level of the original finish it's not possible to re anodise the part to give an original looking finish. That is rarely economical or even possible. Bumpers would be thick enough to give it a try if you can find a company to do the job. Polishing is expensive but basically free if you have the time and patience to do it yourself. Be prepared not to be satisfied with the final result. Every scratch in the metal that's there before re anodising will stick out like a sore thumb. Anyone that has tried to have this done please post!
Amazon owners with lots of anodised parts will know the problem.
Thanks Derek. I didn’t know that about reanodising, makes sense though. I will have to make the ones I have as presentable as I can for now. They are nice and straight which isn’t always the case. There are stainless ones being sold but are quite expensive. 140 parts are a bit hard to come by in the U.K.