Thread: Stereo/DVD: - DIY RSE Solution
View Single Post
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 11:51   #6
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
Fantastic writeup and job as always David. I am looking at this item on ebay and wondering if its worth a go Item number: 190445390538

Any thoughts? Is it easy to route the wires through the seat and where do they meet with the existing audio cables etc?
Hi

Routing wires through the seats is easy, when you know the trick!

The ebay listing you show - I would give them a miss to be honest, as there are much better deals out there.

Fitting many of the aftermarket headrests will likley prove tricky as most of the ones I have seen have the wires emerging from the centre of one (or both) of the headrest tubes. This will not work on the XC90 - you would never (or at least be very unlikley!) get the wires through the headrest locking mechanism within the seat. You could possibly use the "ebay" headrest if you open it up and bring the cables out from the body of the headrest - the same way the genuine headrests have it.

With regards to routing the cables within the seats - easy peasy - remove the side bolster plastic wheel, and then use a 2-3ft fish, you can get the cables from the headrest down to the hole where the wheel goes. From there down to the seat base is then easy. Just watch that when you do run the cables that they are laced and cable tied properly at the base allowing full seat movement without snagging.

If you went with the "ebay" ones you highlighted, most come with RF/IR headphones so you only need to add power. You would not have any integration with your existing audio (or satnav) setup. This may actually be all you need.

There is 12V present in the centre console - so its a very easy connection to there and you are up and running.

I did not go through any detail of connecting things up - if anyone wants to know specifics, please post here or PM me.... its all simple stuff.

David
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote