View Single Post
Old Jul 12th, 2022, 19:18   #7
SnineT
Extrahumanestrial

Are these all now wearing a double clutch gearbox? if they are and you have one there are a few things worth keeping in mind,

1 - If you start it up and you can hear what sounds like a pebble in a washing machine the flywheel is on the way, expect this at 70k and above, sadly it's the same as a manual box regarding having a consumable flywheel,

2 - Even though it's not a VW box as such it will still need a service every 40K at about £200 a go, this is if it's a wet clutch box, pray you don't have a dry clutch box as they can't handle the torque and overheat regularly,

3 - It will also have a mechatronic unit bolted to the side of it and these aren't robust either, when I had one over ten years ago it was a £2400 fix, a mate with a 1.5 TSi Superb recently had to have the lot replaced under warranty, £9000 thank you sir! he saw the bill sheet for it and is now praying it last until it's paid for itself, I had another 1.8 TSi and that unknown to me at the time had new clutch plates at 14000 miles, it was only in the family a short while and was let go at 21000 and not 2 years later there's no sign of it anymore,

So if it rattles do what I did and get shot of, if it's a dry box you'll not get much warning as it will be ok one day and not go into or through the gears the next, beautiful boxes when they're working ok.
SnineT is offline   Reply With Quote