View Single Post
Old Dec 29th, 2021, 21:42   #53
SwedishScotsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman 90 View Post
Theres a saloon 240 currently advertised on this very forum that looks cleanish, unmessed with, has an apparently honest description (admits welding is required), and is only £2k asking price.

That being the case why would anyone pay nearly double for a wagon with all the various questions about its spec, identity and provenance? After all, if we believe what we read it was recently sold for 9 grand so what is wrong with it that it is so soon being hawked about with a change of identity at different, lower prices?
Agree entirely with this comment.

Incidentally, I can vouch for the car being advertised by S7tephen having just driven it circa 90 miles with borrowed red plates to Glasgow from Edinburgh and back to Edinburgh after he asked me to give him an opinion on it. It sat very comfortably on the motorway at 65-70mph and starts first time. I even had to rev the engine to check it was running at idle!

The Bodywork is in my opinion very very good so it’s definitely worth saving. I couldn’t spot any dents or scratches albeit the car was wet. All the chrome trims are there and everything works so far as I can tell including the electric Windows and wipers/ de mister. It has central locking which works and locks all the doors etc from the drivers side which I’ve never seen working on any of my 2x 240s

On the motorway the steering pulls to the left a little which I put down to a steering tie Rod as there is play in it when it was jacked up. There’s a large hole at the NSF sill (visible when you open the door only) but it looks easily accessible to weld a plate or replace a section in place and I also spotted a small hole at rear of NS sill and a slightly bigger one on OS Rear sill.
Exhaust back box and middle section look newish, however there’s sign of a slight engine oil leak but nothing serious and oil was full. Engine bay very clean with strut tops all good and no previous welding visible.
It will definitely need a NSF tyre which I suspect is worn due to the tie Rod however I noticed the spare was brand new. OSF tyre ok but not great. Rears good.
The blue velour interior is in lovely condition with heated seats and only one small blemish the size of a 5p I could spot on drivers seat that would stitch with some blue thread.
Brakes work well and gear changes nice and smooth. Temp gauge sat happily in the middle as you’d expect.

All in all I think it’s a very honest low mileage low owner car that’s definitely worth considering. If faded pink ones with dubious mot history and big miles are realistically (!!!) demanding 3500 ish then I think this is worth more than the £2k asking price.

Bodywork sells it for me all day long and if only I knew how to weld then I’d absolutely snap it up myself but I do fear the other half would end me!

I’m currently running the Grey GLT with the front hella lights (that was previously on a thread here) albeit I bought it on eBay which has over 200k on the clock and the bodywork is nowhere near as nice, with it needing a full respray near enough. It also needs welding and I suspect the last mot tester might have missed a few spots! 2 doors are rotten but I have 2 excellent ones from my other breaker GLT and will get round to fitting / painting someday

Back to S7tephens car well worst case scenario the £2k price will be easily achieved in parts but I think there are plenty cars with dodgy MOTs on the road in far worse condition to be fair.

Last edited by SwedishScotsman; Dec 29th, 2021 at 22:23.
SwedishScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SwedishScotsman For This Useful Post: