View Single Post
Old Mar 3rd, 2024, 13:45   #9
capt jack
VOC Member

If it helps with your thinking Kev, my V70 is the D5 twin turbo, Euro 5 version, and has the six speed Geartronic gearbox.

My daily commute is a 70-mile round trip, a mix of two-thirds motorway (M62 and M1), one-third rural A-roads. Taken as a long-term average, the car's computer says I get between 46 and 47 mpg, which is does actually work out pretty much spot on when I calculate it based on miles per fill.

I think the best it's been is on our holiday trip to Cornwall when for the two long drives I reckoned it to be averaging in the high fifties mpg.

The mpg does quickly drop if the car is stuck in traffic though, and when I'm only round and about near home, so mostly local rural roads, the computer mpg will drop down to the low forties.

One thing that did catch me out a bit was the substantial jump in insurance premium from my old 1997 S90, so your costs for insurance might be something to factor into your calculations.

Oh, and whatever you buy probably is going to need something by way of additional expenditure - tyres, brakes, cambelt etc.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote