View Single Post
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 08:05   #40
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The mass of plumbing Alf refers to looks suspiciously like a Pulse-Air system - a weird device that squirts air into the exhaust manifold to make the emissions seem cleaner than they really are.

The 4-speed box is also a puzzle. I know back in 88/89 i occasionally used a 240DL estate (83/84 A reg) and that had a 5-speed box as standard. Doesn't make sense for a 5 year newer car to only have a 4-speed as standard unless someone killed the 5-speeder (or used it in another car) and just fitted a 4-speed to keep this one mobile.

Too many things don't ring true on this car.
I don't know anything about the plumbing stuff Dave, but the 4 speed manual gearbox is confusing. As far as I can tell Volvo started fitting the 5 speeder for MY 1984, now there may well have been some unsold ones hanging over until 1985, but surely not until 1989? I just can't work this one out - wouldn't other bits (like the speedo drive) be different between a 4 and 5 speeder?

Didn't Volvo get rid of the DL model designation before 1989, or have I misremembered that?

I agree, there is something not quite right about this motor car.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Dec 28th, 2021 at 08:11. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: