View Single Post
Old Aug 15th, 2021, 10:59   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLVOBOY View Post
Hi.
Expansion Valve is fixed by 2 cap head screws. A new part will come with new O-Rings. Two Rings seal under the valve against the Evaporator and two rings seat against your pipes. This job is simple but just a bit fiddly making sure not to drop anything.
There are two more O-Rings ( one on each pipe) that you need to inspect. They should be replaced usually but you can re-use if they are not deformed or hardened.
The main reason why these systems leak (apart from punctured condensers) is the ageing of the sealing rings so it makes sense to change what you can whilst you can.
As the system is open to air you should really replace the Receiver/Drier as a service item and put some lubricant in.
I don`t want to over blow any of this and put you off but the more you do now the better the system will be once you have it re-gassed. All the parts are simple bolt-on , bolt-off items.
Remember it has been illegal for the last 11 years for any un-licenced person to tamper with Air Conditioning systems , a fine of up to £40000 is applicable . If he was going to cut and join AC pipes he obviously is not aware of the consequences when something goes wrong ..