View Single Post
Old Feb 23rd, 2016, 21:05   #1
yesmaybe

Default 440 immobiliser fuel pump

I have an M reg ('95?) Volvo 440. The car wasn't used for a bit and the battery went low.

I charged it overnight as I have done before but this time I think it affected the key fob immobiliser, which we never normally use (have two of them - both fob led lights go on but don't find the car).

The dash LED stays on permanently and indicators activate when door opens so sounds like the alarm was on. Wow hasn't been on for ever. But the car wouldn't start. Dash lights on but dead like an immobiliser.

Tried the under bonnet diagnostic box and this also doesn't seem to work. The LED stayed on full when the little button was pressed, but no other error morse code. So then I tried a few fuses and with the 'no key override' fuse removed I could strike the ignition but it was still like the fuel pump is immobilised.

Meanwhile the dash LED stays on and after reading more forum posts I disconnected the battery overnight. This seems to have deactivated the alarm, but the engine still won't ignite. it just ticks over like there is no petrol ... Although the petrol gauge doesn't go up until the engine is on (isn't it), I did see it rise above the danger zone at one point. And still the diagnostics box only lights up when the button is pressed.

There is no mention of an immobiliser in the manual and the fob doesn't appear to do anything. So I think I have narrowed it down to the fuel pump is still immobilised, does that sound likely? Or a relay? Or something else? How is it possible to test or override the fuel pump immobiliser without a key fob and without the diag box?

Thanks for any advice. Anything too technical, I think I will need to phone my local mechanic, but would hope it is electrical and simple to fix...

Andy
yesmaybe is offline   Reply With Quote