View Single Post
Old Feb 26th, 2024, 11:53   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvophile View Post
Hi guys,

Our 2001 C70 2.4T has recently required topping up of coolant. I am trying to decipher whether it is the water pump or heater matrix. I previously subscribed to the theory that Volvo water pumps were bulletproof and no OEM replacements would match their quality, so I left well enough alone. The air vents have long had a smell coming through also, which can sometimes indicate heater matrix failure. I have however encountered this a trait on other P80 platform cars. There is also no significant fogging of the windows that would indicate this.

I was considering to try ordering a new water pump and replacing that first. At least if it is found not to be the cause, it will have a brand new water pump.

Is my logic sound?
I would investigate the heater matrix first. They are a known issue and would cause the cabin smell. The water pumps are generally bomb proof - I have had pumps cover 270 and 370,000 miles and still be good. In both cases the body rotted first. If the water pump is leaking there will be a white stain down the rear of the block by the timing belt. This can be checked without dismantling anything.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post: