View Single Post
Old Apr 28th, 2011, 22:24   #4
gmain1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1tch1987 View Post
Hi everyone,

I am just wondering what the usual mods are on the 1.9 diesel engine, there are lots of tweeks on the T4, but I havn't found a lot on the 1.9 diesel.

As the diesel engine is the 1.9 Dci Renault engine and has an ECU I am guessing that remapping is pretty easy - although I don't know if the ECU is locked or not for remaps?

I have seen a few diesel 'tuning' boxes that plug into the system, which usually just increase the fuel pressure in the fuel rail giving a bit of extra fueling rather than actually doing any tuning. Its a bit like the petrol 'tuning' boxes that are just a resistor that makes the car run rich by pretending its -300C outside on the air temp sensor.

Could I use tuning parts etc from a Megane/Laguna that also use the same 1.9 DCi engine?

I am guessing like most french diesel cars its not running an intercooler, I know a common mod on the 306 HDis are to add a FMIC, the XUD based engines have a top mounted intercooler.

What turbo does the engine have btw? I know its a Garrett unit, I have many T25/28s laying around so parts are easy to get for tweeks like actuators or compressor housings, I am just wondering what sort it runs, I think a GT15 is used on quite a few of the french diesel engines - can anyone confirm?

Sorry for all the questions, I am going to be getting a 1.9 diesel V40 and will be tuning for economy, so I just need to figure out what has been tried already. I am also guessing as its got a common rail injector system you can't run veg oil?
You're looking at "tuning" for economy - correct?! I think that every tune involving a remap I have ever seen results in increased bhp and torque, though also claimed benefits in fuel economy. In reality, most people get the remap for more power, and use that power. If you drove within the remap, rather than use the power (which is the temptation), you may get better mpg. The reality however, is that you use the extra performance, and mpg is at best unchanged, more usually slightly worse.
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gmain1967 For This Useful Post: