Thread: 0W30 or 5W30
View Single Post
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 10:03   #183
darroch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Our chums at Opie are on record as saying (about a week or so ago, if my memory serves) the square root of no difference in the UK climate. 0/30 tends to be 'premium-priced' Vs other Volvo-approved grades. I reckon that's a fair reason for some.
Yip. Why put an oil in that is good for 18k when you change at 7k. Why buy Snap on at premium price when a Ryobi does for round the house. Did Volvo change the spec and pressure of their oil pump and piston lube jets when they changed to 0w30? Would like to know that. Small differences in oil viscosity are not what kills engines.
10 litres of Mobil 3000 for £56 delivered. It will do a Jazz and a d5 oil change. I have never bought a Genuine oil filter for any car either. Fleetgaurd( cummins) Purflux and Mann all my days on over 40 vehicles.

It is a lot easier for companies to standardise something across the board rather than tell Swedish dealers in severe climate to use one oil and uk ones to use another in their temperate climes. Clan's bulletin mentions not to use 0W40. If you have to tell a dealer that an 0w40 is jumping across 3 grades rather than two, then WTH? Every manufacturer of something has a sales and pr agenda. Mpg and thin oils, water based paint, claimed mpg etc etc. Any time I have went into a main stealer and talked about the car I have to the techs there, I have left with the feeling that they know little and are even less interested in the bigger picture of cars. Techs? Even the Salesman have a laugh about that!
Don't even know what oil is in this car atm. I bought it 1000miles ago from an Audi dealer who also have Volvo franchise. They changed the oil and filters. Maybe they got Volvo filter and oil? Maybe they used what they put in
Audi's.? Ask them? nobody knows or remembers ..........and they don't let you talk to "techs" on the phone.lol
darroch is offline   Reply With Quote