View Single Post
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 13:49   #7
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I have exactly what you describe. It has Sports mode. What I am saying is that it is a somewhat emasculated "sports" driving experience as it definitely doesn't force a down change when the lever is pushed to the left and the "S" comes up on the dash. On my car the concept of "Sports" is all about acceleration. In the mode the gear changes are held to allow the revs to climb higher before changing up to the next gear which increases the progress the car makes when accelerating. However it makes no contribution to deceleration which is as important in "sports" driving as acceleration. I wouldn't call what I have "Sports" at all as is leaves the car in the wrong gears when approaching bends etc unless you pump the lever to manually downshift which negates the concept of an auto transmission which is supposed to allow you to keep your hands on the wheel as much as possible for greater control..

On my previous cars the ZF box "Sports" mode was engaged by a button which sent a single pulse to the transmission control computer. I wired a foot pedal on the foot rest in parallel to the existing button and a toe tap of the left foot forced an instant down shift by opening "Sports" mode or allowed the box to change up out of a lower gear by opting out of the mode without my ever having to take my hands off the wheel. None of this is possible with my current Geartronic box which depends very heavily on the brakes if driving fast on less than straight roads. Without the brakes the car careers into bend in far too high gears and feels less controlled than when downshifting to find the right gear before the bend.

If the Sports mode forced down shift is available on the Geartronic box, I'd like to know how the software can be updated to achieve it. It is purely a computer controlled feature.