View Single Post
Old Mar 5th, 2024, 23:56   #7
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcascomp View Post
Aye, out of warranty! Trouble with using a phone, darn thing keeps changing words!

Sale of goods act must come into play here though, a car engine properly serviced should be expected to last more than 40,000 miles especially if it's failure is due to known design flaw. Something normal wearing out after 40k, even wearing early would obviously be the owners issue after the warranty has expired, but this is way more than that.
I agree. Something failing so soon is definitely a defect/design flaw and the customer shouldn't have to pay, but sadly, that's not how it works. Manufacturer's give warranties for x amount of years. Once they expire, the manufacturer's warranty is no longer valid, therefore they don't really have to honour anything. I don't agree with it, but that's the world we live in.

I think Volvo are offering 40% contribution because this engine problem occurred so close to the warranty expiring. Its more of a "goodwill" gesture so to speak. If this happened and the car was actually in warranty, it wouldn't have cost anything.

Going down the route of sale of goods act will be costly and a long process. All you can do is be firm and try to get more out of them, but I highly doubt it'll result in a complete free repair. Just being honest, but hey, worth a try to get as much as you can.