View Single Post
Old Mar 22nd, 2021, 17:01   #451
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
I'll set of early!

I spent much of the day drying out the carpet and sound proofing, nice day for it here. I read Jungle Jim's thread here:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...highlight=leak
and it clearly could be a number of things that are letting water in, there was definitely no shortage of it in the foot well. One likely candidate is the windscreen fixing - there's a couple of gaps (see one in the first pic). I need to get the boy to play a hose on it while I'm inside so I can see, but that'll be my first point to check I guess?
And while we're about it, the windscreen has fogging about 1.5" in in some places (second pic), presumably delaminating a bit and allowing moisture in?
If so - can you get new windscreens for these?! I've searched but not found. If the leak is the seal, we may get a new screen fitted and kill two birds with the one stone.

Any thoughts much appreciated.
You should be able to get a new windscreen easily enough Chris - the one on the RB is only about 3 years old so I'm fairly certain any auto glass fitter should be able to find one for you.

I see you still have the older type seal with the metal strip. I understand most glass fitters don't like those, so you may end up with the later (wider) seal like the RB has:

... these seem to work perfectly well (no leaks with the RB), but it depends how true to the original you want to remain. I still have the metal surround and have acquired a set of the plastic retaining clips, but I've decided it is just not worth the cost or risk of having the screen re-fitted with the old type seal and stainless steel (I think) surround. I quite like the more modern look on the RB, and with that motor car I'm making no pretence whatsoever of a restoration.

Alan

PS. One thing I do is run a finger of silicone grease around the outer edge of the seal, just in the corners every now and then (maybe a few times per year). That seems to help maintain a good, watertight seal and helps keep the rubber seal supple.

Last edited by Othen; Mar 22nd, 2021 at 17:14.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: