View Single Post
Old Jun 14th, 2021, 19:44   #22
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby mits View Post
Well.......

I have used Pagid on all my Volvos for years and never had a problem with them. On the occasions I have had brake judder it has been due to poor maintenance/fitting or lack of use such as no lube on the sliding pins, rust on the disc surfaces, seized or sticky caliper pistons etc. I just hesitate when folk say "warped discs" - sometimes its true but more often that not its just the glib and easy response.

Before you shell out on another set of brakes check the disc run out with a dial gauge and compare it with the specs. There are plenty of stories of guys who have changed the discs twice and not solved the problem.

GM
Lack of use maybe, certainly not due to poor fitting or no lubrication. I know how to fit brakes.... I’ve just never had any that cause a juddering steering.

I’ll try the driving with the brakes engaged trick (stopping to let them cool of course) to see if that helps. Although, being honest, I don’t think it will.

Testing the existing before buying makes sense though, I agree. I haven’t used a dial gauge before (never needed to) & I don’t particularly want to buy one because it’ll just be thrown in a draw & left unused (a single use tool basically... its not like there’s a queue of cars with potential warped discs at my house).

Is there anything else that can be used as an alternative to test my existing discs? (something that I may have in my garage already)...