View Single Post
Old Jan 8th, 2022, 10:01   #1
Paul Sanderson

Default Seatbelt warning light S40 2003

We have a 2003 S40, 1.6 five-speed. As from a couple of days ago the seatbelt reminder light on the instrument panel is lit up whenever the ignition is on. With me coming from the classic car era when such things didn't exist I've no idea how these things work and am assuming that when a weight is on a seat cushion then some contacts close, thus completing a circuit and causing the light to come on. It only goes out when the seatbelt buckle is slipped into the holder and that – presumably – breaks the circuit in some way. What I can't figure out is which seat or seat belt is the faulty one.

It might be that only the driver's seat is so wired, or maybe just both front seats... and if Volvo is really concerned, perhaps it is all seats that are wired! Since the light is on constantly whether the seats are occupied or not (ignition circuit on) it's impossible to test. I do have a wiring diagram for the car that shows the seat/seatbelt/clip wiring circuit, but it is too complicated for someone like me to comprehend – I can't even tell which bits are the seats and which the seat belts.

Can anyone tell me how to identify which seat is at fault, maybe also how to tell if it is the seat or the seat belt that is faulty?
Paul Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote