View Single Post
Old Mar 22nd, 2024, 14:51   #28
xavierx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
Is it impertinent to point out that the number of EVs made 20 years ago was truly vanishingly small, so that might be why you don't see many out and about?
I believe the first EV's were created around 1910 🤣

But seriously, the earliest "mainstream" EV's are 2010 Nissan Leafs and if you look at the cheapest ones on ebay/autotrader they are faulty ones with dead batteries. No-one is going to spend £6k putting a new battery in a £3k Nissan Leaf, so at that point, it's a car for parts/scrap. (With long range modern EV's the battery can be £20k+)

We can only look at how zero 20 year old mobile phones/laptops/power tools have working batteries that can still a decent charge. We can read from the datasheets of the batteries that the cells decay both as a function of time and number of cycles, so they will fail.

All that said, if you are the sort of person that likes EVs, and they work for you, then by all means you go for it 👍

I personally enjoy keeping older petrol/diesel cars going for as long as possible and will continue to do so for as long as I am able to drive them.
2011 F10 BMW M5
xavierx is offline   Reply With Quote