View Single Post
Old Apr 15th, 2024, 09:44   #7
Moose Test
Master Member

Tricky one. I believe that this seller has a good reputation and on that alone I'd be inclined to think that it isn't a pup. However, at that price, I'd really want to have seen a comprehensive service and maintenance record. No XC90 is inexpensive to run, they chew through brake and some suspension components at quite a fair rate and if the previous owners haven't stayed on top of that then you stand to inherit that expense. That said, if you're happy to put aside a war chest of 1500 to 2k on top of the purchase price then you should be covered.

Main thing is a decent test drive, hot and cold. You really don't want to be paying that kind of money only to find that you have gearbox or 4WD problems.

Finally, a matter of personal taste and experience; I bought the 'sport' variant, the original designation for R-Design. I quickly regretted that, especially with the state of the roads in rural East Anglia. It was a very harsh ride compared to my previous SE Lux D5 and a friend's D5 executive. In the end, I spent nearly 2k on new suspension components in order to 'delete' the Sport/R-Design suspension option. It was that, or get rid of it. Your tastes in suspension setup may vary of course. But if you were asking me, at that level of spend I wouldn't touch an R-Design again, I'd take a good 3.2 Executive ahead of that.