View Single Post
Old Apr 29th, 2021, 08:43   #515
Chris152

Well, we've been putting off the brake pads in favour of driving - the lad can get out on the road again now, all seems to be going well. Earlier this week we made the decision to get on with the brakes in the next couple of days. All good.

Then, the day before yesterday, his mum took him out in it, buy some petrol first (we avoided the red area on the gauge as the fuel pump starts whining then) and head to the beach. But they never left the petrol station - full tank, the car wouldn't start. Fortunately a friend in his land rover was at the same garage at the time and towed it home.

We sprayed a bit of that easy-start stuff in before towing, the ignition worked as long as that was in the air intake, but it seems clear no fuel is getting to the engine.

Ok, so it seems clear to me the fuel pump's given up, quick read of Haynes and we'll order up the parts. Strewth, it's complex! Not so much fitting the new pumps, but testing to see which is faulty. We swapped the fuse in case it was something so simple (No 4 fuse, contrary to what Haynes says); switched on the ignition as I listened at the tank - nothing at all.

I'm surprised it went from a whine at low fuel but none the less driving absolutely fine, to completely refusing to start, like that. But does it sound like I'm correct in thinking this is most likely a pump issue? And if so, are there any other really simple fails that could account for the sudden complete failure to function?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Chris152 is offline   Reply With Quote