View Single Post
Old Aug 9th, 2010, 23:30   #48
Vecais

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foringo View Post
It may or may not affect the long term reliability of the engine but I paid for a sumpful of expensive engine oil with the car and not a adulterated mix whatever the ratio might actually be. My view is that Volvo should fix the problem and reinstate the oil back to its original spec & why on earth shouldn't they? I'm not so worried about the engine itself although this is still an unknown but this car has two turbos and I would prefer them to be lubricated with the proper stuff.
One reason to choose high quality oil at refill is to provide a buffer for the dilution and contaminants that occur during normal operation of the engine. The reason the manufacturers recommend changing the oil at certain intervals is because it is well known that the oil gets contaminated in normal use.

If any drivers are particularly concerned about this aspect, because of their particular driving style or conditions, they should choose to change the oil at the shortest recommended interval. This happens with all internal combustion engines and is not a particular Volvo phenomenon.

The rising oil level issue mostly affects drivers who drive a diesel in short stop-start trips. I was personally affected in this way and it seems that the Volvo software update has fixed the problem for me. No more apparent rising oil level problem.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vecais For This Useful Post: