View Single Post
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 10:59   #3
RJF

Default RE: Questionable S40/V50 performance data?

I've read for years that fuel consumption improves through time. 'Once the engine loosens up' or 'when the engine has been run in' is the usual term. I've never experienced this phenomenon myself in all the years I've been driving or certainly not by any appreciable amount. Way back I owned from new a Cavalier 1.7tdi, and more recently an A4 1.9tdi. As I say I test drove a Skoda 2.0Tdi prior to purchasing the V50. With my lethargic driving style, I managed quite easily to exceed the manufactures figures in all these cars.

My driving style in the V50 is no different to any other car I've driven, therefore unless there is something peculiar to the new 2.4i engine, I'd have expected the fuel consuption figures to be consistent with previous experience.

At the time of writing, my fuel computer is reading 33.2 mpg average.
However I had just reset the computer, and bar the 4 miles to my home / the garage, have travelled 120 miles on motorway at 60-65 mph. The mpg should have been in to the high 30's if not more based on the official data. I find it very difficult to believe the figures Volvo are claiming.

Has anyone actually acheived / exceeded Volvo's claimed performance figures for the V40/V50?