Thread: S60: General - S60 d5 buying advice
View Single Post
Old Mar 27th, 2014, 21:12   #24
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00v70 View Post
. Perhaps anyone who has a D5 will say what its like as an engine? Thought it was a good diesel but Im seeing opinion to the contrary here.
thanks
Not a D5, but a 2.4D which differs only in the engine map. It seemed OK and smooth enough to begin with (rose tinted spectacles?) but more and more I began to grudge the fact that almost any other car, even small hatches like other half's Polo always seemed so quiet and smooth in comparison.

After 4 years' ownership I quit my job, daily mileage tailed off to just 5-10 miles, DPF-telated issues kicked in, and the car had to go. I replaced it with an otherwise identical 2.0t and wow!, reallised what I'd been missing. Smooth and quiet, and great power delivery. I now regard the 4 years I spent with the S60 diesel as 'wasted years' as far as my motoring career goes.

The MPG is of course better with diesel. Some people will claim you get twice the MPG, others fail to see such large benefits. Believe who you will, but don't disregard Volvo's own published figures, which in general show the petrol cars achieving 70-75% of diesel MPG in like-for-like driving. My own findings entirely agreed with these Volvo figures.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_56 For This Useful Post: