Old May 4th, 2022, 08:24   #9
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoMac View Post
Anyone know where we can source replacement voltage stabilisers ? Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
Reproductions no longer appear to be available. Skandix (and Classic Volvo) offers a rebuild service; but, you have to supply an original to get the horrendous core charge back

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...lizer/1021371/

At that price I would be inclined to fabricate a stabilizer. Either from one of the LM series 5 volt 3 terminal regulators (with a heat sink) or using a microcontroller to switch a MOFSET to give you a PWM modulated output of 5 volts - which is effectively what the existing stabiliser is. Should be able to do it for less than $10 Cdn $. If you search using Google you can probably find a replacement circuit that somebody has already cooked up. I would volunteer; but, the weather here has recently switched from deep winter to balmy spring so I am currently disinclined to spend time in the basement workshop. If it starts raining, then maybe!

May be Ebay might yield a used one. Note that you need to check part number. Early 140s (at least up to my 1971) used a 5 volt stabiliser. I think the '73 and later 140s used a 10 volt stabiliser.
This is good advice.

The original instrument voltage regulator was defective when I bought the RB (a 1980 244) so I replaced it with a solid state item such as 142 Guy suggests. Mine came in a little kit with a 10v stabiliser, a heat sink and so on for less than a tenner. This link has the details:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showp...&postcount=383

... if you have an earlier 140 you would need the 5v alternative.

Good fortune,

Alan

PS. If you are a little bit handy with a soldering iron you could probably save a fiver by getting just the component (just google LM7805 or LM7810) - and making up a little loom and a heat sink from some bits and pieces.

Last edited by Othen; May 4th, 2022 at 09:05. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote