Thread: Fuel gauge
View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2022, 22:29   #8
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoMac View Post
Anyone know where we can source replacement voltage stabilisers ? Thanks
Reproductions no longer appear to be available. Skandix (and Classic Volvo) offers a rebuild service; but, you have to supply an original to get the horrendous core charge back

https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...lizer/1021371/

At that price I would be inclined to fabricate a stabilizer. Either from one of the LM series 5 volt 3 terminal regulators (with a heat sink) or using a microcontroller to switch a MOFSET to give you a PWM modulated output of 5 volts - which is effectively what the existing stabiliser is. Should be able to do it for less than $10 Cdn $. If you search using Google you can probably find a replacement circuit that somebody has already cooked up. I would volunteer; but, the weather here has recently switched from deep winter to balmy spring so I am currently disinclined to spend time in the basement workshop. If it starts raining, then maybe!

May be Ebay might yield a used one. Note that you need to check part number. Early 140s (at least up to my 1971) used a 5 volt stabiliser. I think the '73 and later 140s used a 10 volt stabiliser.

Last edited by 142 Guy; May 3rd, 2022 at 22:33.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post: