Thread: V50 Electrics : - Battery power cable fuse blown
View Single Post
Old Mar 20th, 2021, 07:27   #10
big_yin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakm View Post
Well my fix didn't last long!

I popped the fuse this morning! luckily I bought two so I replaced it and started doing some testing

After starting I noticed my fuse was pretty warm and staying warm while running and checking voltage either side of the fuse I had a drop of about .04V not sure on the amps!

As a result I think the fuse is cheap and crap but upon more checking I also think I had a poor earth to the engine.

I also thought I had a poor connection from the battery to the starter so the cable was removed and inspected.

I removed the clamp on the battery end of the cable and the wire had a fair bit of corrosion.

I decided to make a new connector between the battery and cable from some copper pipe and do away with the fuse as after all there is a lot of cars that don't have this fuse fitted.

I also removed the earth on the engine and cleaned it up and attached it to one of the starter motor bolts.

As a result the car now spins over much better.

So I reckon I was right in that I had two issues here one being a bad earth and the other a bad connection on the battery cable causing a large draw.
Nice one that all is working ok on your car.

My replacement cable came in on Thursday and I checked the cables on corrosion but also the connection points which I all cleaned before connecting them. They didn't do this at the garage apparently.

All is working fine and the starter motor is going round faster then previously so I am hopeful that it is now sorted. I have however purchased a fuse holder and fuses so that I can make a similar set-up next time it happens again.