View Single Post
Old Nov 11th, 2021, 14:55   #6
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Speaking as an engine builder of over 4 decades experience...

As a general rule of thumb, smaller capacity engines are, like for like, more robust. The simple physics is that s smaller, lighter piston and recipricating assembly "weighs" less at the top of the stroke than a large, heavier one. In simple terms this means thinks are less likely to break,

Now I say like for like, as along with less inertial stresses to accommodate designers will use lighter blocks, cranks, crank journals, etc, but the point holds true that a smaller capacity motor is no more inherently liable to have a shorter life than a large one. Unless Volvo have dropped a major clanger and designed in some kind of fault it should be competitive with any other well designed unit.

Neither being small capacity, a triple, or having a high specific output, make an engine automativally or inherently less durable, the same way being huge, multi cylinder and a lazy, output does not make engines inherently more reliable. Transmissions that handle that power are a different matter entirely...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryrev View Post
Thanks for the reply, my suspicion is not based on anything that I have read but not being sure how long these engines have been in existence, it made me wonder if anyone has done big miles with one.

I have been caught before with a huge cost to replace a DPF on a supposedly reliable VW after 75-80k. Equally I have bought, or driven, diesels since I can''t remember when, so spending a lot of money on a 3 cylinder petrol engine producing 180bhp makes me a little nervous.

After my VW experience I don't have much faith in a manufacturer admitting they have sold me a vehicle that wasn't fit for purpose.

In the old days (a couple of years ago) I would automatically just go for a 2 litre diesel for it's power, torque and ability to soak up the miles. Maybe I'm just being an old f*rt....
The only people that reckon VW are reliable are VW. If you dig down and look at sources such as the Warranty Direct Reliabilty Index (which measure actual breakdows, and not simply customers impressions and opinions) you'll see they're nothing special, and some of their models actually perform quite poorly compared to rival products.

Last edited by Familyman 90; Nov 11th, 2021 at 15:16.
Familyman 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Familyman 90 For This Useful Post: