View Single Post
Old May 13th, 2021, 09:51   #1
nelpiece

Default Dreaded battery drain issue 2011 V70 D3

Hello all,

I'm having some serious battery drain issues with my 2011 V70 D3.

I get a persistent Low Battery warning on the dashboard.

In the past month I have had...

2 brand new batteries fitted
A new steering column control module fitted
A new left hand steering column stalk (the one with the Read button on the end)

... all to try and get rid of this parasitic drain issue but it is still not resolved. I have spent around £1000 so far.

I must add that I haven't taken it to an official Volvo dealer (wish I had in hindsight!) as I know they'd charge me £100's just to lift the bonnet and have a look.

I checked the battery voltage 2 days ago and it read 12.6v (the Low Battery warning wasn't showing at this point) but this morning the warning came back. I've checked the battery voltage with a multimeter again and it's now 12.4v.

I've bought an OBD checker module and downloaded the Car Scanner app. Yesterday the app said the battery was 82% charged, this morning the app says it's 42% charged.

After spending the money on the remedies listed above, the local auto-electricians said the issue was resolved but I was still getting the Low Battery warning a few days later. Being curious I did some searching on YouTube and found the videos where you can reset the Battery Monitoring Sensor (BMS) by unplugging the module with the engine running, leaving it for 10 seconds, and plugging it back in. Before I did this the Car Scanner app said the battery charge level was 41% and after I unplugged and reattached the BMS the charge level on the app jumped to 80%, so I was delighted, thinking the parasitic drain was resolved and that the BMS just needed a reset.

Alas, this morning I've tested it again and the Low Battery warning is back with the app reading a charge level of 42% and a battery voltage checked with a multimeter of 12.4v

Can anybody offer any more help? I'm thinking I might just have bite the bullet and take it to Volvo but as I've spent so much already I'm ever so slightly peeved...

Many thanks in advance for any input.
nelpiece is offline   Reply With Quote