Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 11:45   #2679
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I'm impressed that a young whipper-snapper such as your-self can actually remember the Wartburg, Alan!

I bought one of the last to be imported (a '75 (P)) when it was a few months old. I quickly discovered why the previous owner had sold it, but kept it for a couple of years even so! I must have been a glutton for punishment then, as I had previously owned a Moskvich Estate. They might have been almost new cars, but, my goodness, there was a reason that they were cheap!

The Wartburg ran on a fuel / oil ratio of 50:1 but still smoked like a chimney. It went like whotsit off a shovel for it's size, but setting the three (!) sets of points was best described as 'interesting'.

In contrast, my Raleigh 'peds ran on 16:1 premix and emitted a smoke-screen that would have been the envy of James Bond! One really could get high on the smell of a 2T at full chat - it was that addictive!

Regards, John.
Actually John, I've even been in a Wartburg! A girlfriend at university in Bristol had one - it would have been about 1989 or 90 I suppose.

I still have a 1976 Suzuki B120 2 stroke motorcycle, it has a automatic mixture system with a separate tank (so no premix) but it still leaves that lovely trail of blue smoke :-)

Alan