Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 11:40   #2678
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I'm impressed that a young whipper-snapper such as your-self can actually remember the Wartburg, Alan!

I bought one of the last to be imported (a '75 (P)) when it was a few months old. I quickly discovered why the previous owner had sold it, but kept it for a couple of years even so! I must have been a glutton for punishment then, as I had previously owned a Moskvich Estate. They might have been almost new cars, but, my goodness, there was a reason that they were cheap!

The Wartburg ran on a fuel / oil ratio of 50:1 but still smoked like a chimney. It went like whotsit off a shovel for it's size, but setting the three (!) sets of points was best described as 'interesting'.

In contrast, my Raleigh 'peds ran on 16:1 premix and emitted a smoke-screen that would have been the envy of James Bond! One really could get high on the smell of a 2T at full chat - it was that addictive!

Regards, John.
I also remember the Wartburg and Moskvich John, there was also a race car made using the 3-pot Wartburg engine known as the Melkus, apparently the engine was tuned to about 150bhp but i can't remember where i read that so can't provide a link :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melkus

I recently found a Volvo Amazon that had been fitted with a 2-stroke Evinrude V8 marine engine on YouTube called "Rudezon" so it seems 2-strokes are still in use in cars, even if only occasionally!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: