Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 11:04   #2677
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I've deliberately not used the RB for a week or so in respect of the 'fuel crisis' (which I might not have even realised happened if I had not read about it in the paper) - the RB not being as efficient as the Skoda diesel (or even the Porsche come to that!).

When I parked up the RB I put a couple of squirts of ATF through each of the spark plug holes (as I do a couple of times each year), and I followed the LS advice with an egg-cup or two of ATF mixed in with the fuel.

I was planning to waken the RB from its slumbers this afternoon, I hope my neighbours don't think I've acquired a Wartburg 2 stroke!

:-)
I'm impressed that a young whipper-snapper such as your-self can actually remember the Wartburg, Alan!

I bought one of the last to be imported (a '75 (P)) when it was a few months old. I quickly discovered why the previous owner had sold it, but kept it for a couple of years even so! I must have been a glutton for punishment then, as I had previously owned a Moskvich Estate. They might have been almost new cars, but, my goodness, there was a reason that they were cheap!

The Wartburg ran on a fuel / oil ratio of 50:1 but still smoked like a chimney. It went like whotsit off a shovel for it's size, but setting the three (!) sets of points was best described as 'interesting'.

In contrast, my Raleigh 'peds ran on 16:1 premix and emitted a smoke-screen that would have been the envy of James Bond! One really could get high on the smell of a 2T at full chat - it was that addictive!

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Oct 13th, 2021 at 11:17. Reason: Typo correction
john.wigley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post: