View Single Post
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 12:19   #6
AlainBrighton
A stranger from abroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
I would also think about changing the transmission oil, especially if it has under 80K miles on it so it's about the right moment. Yes, garages have this old mentality to never change the fluid, but they also don't own the car and will not care if the transmission will start shifting poorly at 150K miles. I'm pretty sure the original fluid would be good for 100K-150K miles but these cars are often times driven much longer. What if the car gets to 150K miles, and the owner feels he could keep it for another 100K miles, but now the transmission started shifting weirdly ? By 150K miles on the original fluid it's already too late, fresh fluid won't clean those clogged solenoids and worn valve body components.

By the way, as mentioned, towing requires fluid flush every 30K miles or so (towing has the fluid heat up more, which degrades the fluid faster)

Use the exact type of oil specified, perhaps search on forums for your transmission model. But I would rather only change some 3 liters then repeat repeat the same after 10K miles or so. This should keep the fluid fresh enough. I'm a little nervous about replacing all fluid at once, especially if it was never replaced before for a long time. In particular if the car is seeing mostly motorway (this doesn't allow the transmission to do multiple gear changes, which is needed in order to 'adjust' it to new fluid)
Thank you kindly for sharing your knowledge, to me it just does not make sense that you will expect technical components to look after themselves. And as Tannaton mentioned above, your suggestion of the sump dumps over time make more sense to clean the box bit by bit although I wonder how much oil I would need to purchase to undertake this task. Apart from needing to find an expert on here who is wiling to look over my shoulder !

And noooo ... no towing, I understood that if a car is used for towing, Volvo does advise to change the gearbox oil ....

Find me on Instagram as SussexChineseDutch
AlainBrighton is offline   Reply With Quote