View Single Post
Old Jan 30th, 2011, 07:54   #23
john h
VOC Member

Here's my thinking about the car...

The top, urgent priority is to replace cambelt, tensioner and waterpump. Gary, the previous owner, had the car two years and did not change the belt. His Dad owned it for several years before that, and Gary does not think he did the belt either! Therefore, I had a cautious drive home (3000rpm max) and this is top priority for next weekend.

Also, the taligate wiring needs to be replaced. And there may be an additional electrical problem because although the indictors and brake lights work, the rear DRL/tail-lights don't.

After those are done, I will do a major service and change all fluids.

The car seems to have been well looked after through most if its life, but with little attention given to it in recent years (I have very little service history) so I'll need to catch-up on the lost maintenance.

After that, there will be a serious rust-proofing job, and an assessment of what to do with the slightly grotty rear wheelarches.

Then Steve and Nick will "detail" it to within an inch of its life!

I might possibly fit some different wheels (I have Gallaxies or Polaris in stock to choose from) but in the main it will then just be used, enjoyed and maintained for a couple of years until my big project (the 164RS) is fully completed.

And then...? Well, then will come the time to make the GLT fast...

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to john h For This Useful Post: