Thread: Electrics: 70: - Ignition switch - where to buy?
View Single Post
Old Nov 1st, 2021, 15:48   #6
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Aaarrgghhh! Disaster! So this afternoon I took the steering column shrouds off so I could get at the electrical part of the ignition switch to find the right part number. In the process, not knowing quite how it all came apart I took the cover off the round plug that goes onto the electrical connectors - and the individual wires all came out, and now I'm not sure which holes in the plug they go back into. To make matters worse, there are 8 wires and 9 holes, so I don't even know which hole is supposed to be empty. I tried putting them back where they appeared to "want" to sit, and when I turned the ignition on all seemed to be OK until I cranked the engine - it cranks, but wouldn't start. I tried another combination but that didn't work either.

Fortunately I have a complete set of wiring diagrams for the car, and it has a picture of the ignition switch with an indication of which colour wire goes where, so when I get a bit more time I should be able to assemble it correctly. I just hope I haven't blown a fuse or damaged something in the mean time! What a silly boy......

The good news is that I eventually got a part number off the switch, which was 6849772 - looking at some suppliers this appears to correspond to the 9447804 number, and the picture of the switch on the Skandix site confirms that it has 9 pins, like the original on my car. The 9447803 part appears to have 8 pins, so I'm now pretty confident I have the right part number to order one.

Wish me luck getting the ignition switch back together with the wires in the right place eh?

Cheers!