View Single Post
Old May 10th, 2021, 23:33   #11
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg55 View Post
Now I'm confused - it's well documented that the tensioner is the part that fails (or more specifically, any original fitment tensioner which is pre-latest spec). I think Volvo's 108k interval for the tensioner must be on the assumption that you have had the latest spec tensioner fitted already? I haven't a schedule to hand, but I would guess the instruction is to replace the original tensioner at or before 54k miles with the latest spec part, then let it go to 108k and replace with the belt (because you could have had the tensioner replaced initially at a low mileage as I think some were done under recall regardless of mileage?) and then 108k intervals thereafter. It wouldn't make sense for Volvo to let an original go to 108k given the known issues, but I stand to be corrected
Tensioners do fail yes, but no dealership has ever told me change mine every 54,000 miles... The aux belt yes, but not the tensioner too. If I ask about a cam belt though, they mention the aux belts & tensioner. I don't think the dealership will just replace the cam belt alone? Maybe they will, but they'll put notes on their system to advise that you were told to change the tensioner & aux belt, in case of any come backs in future.

For peace of mind though, I replace the tensioner every 5 years or 54,000 miles (whichever comes first). Its not an expensive part... it works out less than a packet of cigarettes each year (£12 per year x 5 years = £60). For what its worth, it makes sense to replace the tensioner with the aux belt every 5 years/54k. I'm fairly sure Volvo don't specify that though, or never have to me anyway.

Last edited by Kev0607; May 10th, 2021 at 23:43.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote