View Single Post
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 11:47   #29
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGBiFuel View Post
In short, for road-use, the best brake-fluid is not the fluid sold with hog-wash about high wet or dry boil points. It's fluid you'll change most often. Fresh budget fluid will wipe the floor over pricey stuff that's six months older.

For most of us, brake-fluid is about change-interval, and the cheap stuff may have lower boil points, yet doesn't get wet so fast. For road-use you won't boil brake-fluid anyway, but you will boil the water in it. Water boils... and water makes that acid.

Cheap fluid and change it often.
Going off at a slight tangent, i've often wondered why we still use brake fluid. After all, it's only hydraulic fluid. Some ATFs have a viscosity of SAE 32, the same as most hydraulic fluids/brake fluids. They are also not hygroscopic, kinder to rubber components, unlikely to boil in normal use and inside an auto box, function as hydraulic fluid to hold clutch packs engaged or in the case of traditional boxes, brake bands.
Also used to operate steering racks too - you see where i'm going with this? The one thing that i do have concerns about is localised boiling of the fluid under braking but that will take more research...................

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote