View Single Post
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 10:34   #24
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Maybe it's because they don't do it properly? Have you ever observed what they actually do? I've been told by reliable sources that common practice in a dealer service is to suck out the fluid from the reservoir and replace with fresh fluid, which indeed would be quick and cheap. However, this is next to useless, as the most likely places for fluid contamination are the calipers and brake lines, and this method leaves the fluid in these components untouched.

I totally agree with your assertion that it's important and should be done regularly, but the only way to do it properly is to flush it out through all four bleed nipples, which is far more time consuming, and one of the main reasons that I always do it myself.

Next time you get a dealer to do it, check the bleed nipples afterwards, my money says that none of them will show any signs of having been touched.

Cheers!
I have seen that done in a dealership, also oil/filter changes where the filter is wiped clean while the oil drains then cheap oil is used to refill the engine.

Also on lease cars with servicing included, many lease companies will only pay for the absolute basics - no lube on the door hinges, locks and latches, no screenwash fluid just water in the reservoir - the penny-pinching goes on. Most of this doesn't impact the first owner/driver as the car is usually on a 3-5 year lease and changed for a new one, it's the second and subsequent owners that pay for this wilful neglect. Oh yeah, the penny-pinching extends to not changing the brake fluid properly!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote