View Single Post
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 08:39   #23
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Cox View Post
Even the price charged by my local main dealer to do it makes me wonder why I'm even bothering to do it myself.
Maybe it's because they don't do it properly? Have you ever observed what they actually do? I've been told by reliable sources that common practice in a dealer service is to suck out the fluid from the reservoir and replace with fresh fluid, which indeed would be quick and cheap. However, this is next to useless, as the most likely places for fluid contamination are the calipers and brake lines, and this method leaves the fluid in these components untouched.

I totally agree with your assertion that it's important and should be done regularly, but the only way to do it properly is to flush it out through all four bleed nipples, which is far more time consuming, and one of the main reasons that I always do it myself.

Next time you get a dealer to do it, check the bleed nipples afterwards, my money says that none of them will show any signs of having been touched.

Cheers!