View Single Post
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 18:57   #16
Gazdkw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simboc2004 View Post
As a frequent tower of my caravan and a single axle Ifor Williams trailer I would say it's vital to get the nose weight right. Occasionally, when towing the car back from storage, I don't bother checking the nose weight and it can pitch a lot. Not dangerously, but certainly uncomfortably. When I adjust the balance on either trailer to 60kg nose weight it tows brilliantly. The 90kg max quoted by Volvo is just that - a max, not a target - 60 to 70 kg is a far better level. Also check what the tow hitch itself is plated at - it may have a lower limit if not an official Volvo towbar.

I have just upgraded my caravan to an Alko jockey wheel with built in nose weight gauge. That really helps, because it's so easy to check before hitching up. Remember that you ideally need to check the nose weight with the tow hitch at the same height as it sits on the car towball. I check it just before hitching up.

On my Ifor Williams trailer I use a simple compression nose weight gauge - works well. Or you can use a set of bathroom scales and a stick cut down to the right length. I recently took an upright piano to the Pyrenees in it and you'd hardly have known there was anything on the back.
Interesting. We have recently changed our caravan for a much larger twin axle van. I have noticed the van is swaying the car abit, its worst if I am accelerating which I assume is because the front of my car is lifted slightly, I don't know for sure.

I am interested in looking at the nose weight but have not got a set of scales suitable. This van doesn't have a front locker box so not sure what i could do to adjust the nose weight anyway.