View Single Post
Old Mar 17th, 2022, 09:28   #7
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

I suppose it's possible to have this done in 8-10 hours, the railway-arch crowd used to promise it done in a day - and this was sold as a good thing? I did my own CNG install recently - on advice from 'classicswede' of this parish, I suspect like me you'll want a KME Nevo base. More involved than LPG, but electrically the same, it was 7-8 day's work. LPG would have shaved two-three days off that.

Sounds liek you alrady have these, else: I do have a Stako Toroidal which'd be good for your spare-wheel well + filler + vaporiser. Came out of my V70 before I did the swap. It's still full of LPG, that alone is worth the £30 I ask for it.

Collect LU6 - bit too far from Bristol, then again, empty, it'd cost you £160-170 to buy new?

If you're not worried about boot-space, the ability to drive past rip-off priced LPG to cheaper sources; forced to use petrol; means long range wins all day long. Mind though, keep weight down. You still need to stop. Have petrol limited to just off empty. Save for the weight, I was considering Tri-Fuel using the tnak I offer you. Went for a larger CNG instead. Used LPG tanks are cheap enough, and 'condition good', ie not soem rusty nonsense, one of the things you can buy used.

In an LPG install, wiring is where a lot of the work sits. I have an electronics/ telecomms engineering background, i was the bloke found down manholes in my 'trainee gets the carp-jobs youth'. I'm past manholes these days, nonetheless I've not forgotten how and wiring mine took me a good two days. Your installer is required to 'Tee-in' every joint, this by soldering and shrink-wrapping each joint, preferably with silicon-grease. Access is the problem, and where the work is. The install looks 'factory' such that you'd struggle to see where I've been. It would have an amateur leaving a mess or take still longer. If I'd done that part of the job in 10 hours, it'd be 'f**&*d-in and an ocean-going abortion.

For example, achieving a fill-point not c**ted-on; rather it hidden adjacent the petrol filler-cap (under filler-flap) took best part of a day - siting the changeover switch to the right of the gear-lever, over 'nailing' it on the dash where it'd look cowboy incongruous, was another 4-5 hours.

It seems you've got the message, do it right: Pre-COVID I would cover galactic miles, thus it makes sense for me. Your case sounds similar. Looked after these cars do massive miles, mine do.

I hope the above gives some idea of why a 'proper' install is unlikely to be done in 8-10 hours or be much less than £1500-2000? It will be lots of work, which is why I won't offer... Your set-up will match the value of the car which to many can't make sense. My set-up costs 2-3 times more than i paid for the car? We must be idiots?

Clearly you've seen the light... good luck.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Mar 17th, 2022 at 11:34.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post: