View Single Post
Old Nov 29th, 2021, 11:05   #17
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I guess it depends how it's done.

I'll definitely give you £100, is not the same as ,will you take a £100 or I value it at about £100.

Seeing in the flesh can change everything.

When buying , for me , it's the relationship I strike with the vendor as much as the article.

There's always the chancer on both sides!
In my (albeit limited) experience over the years of buying cars through the club and / or on the forum, I have found that generally there is a mutual trust and respect between enthusiasts.

I am perhaps a little more sceptical of a very new member who may appear to have joined the forum solely to dispose of a dubious motor-car, but, in the absence of any obvious warning signs, am generally prepared to award the person the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps the two examples below will better illustrate what I mean

I bought my second 145, via an advertisement in the club magazine (no internet then !) from a gentleman living in Northamptonshire whose description was accurate and price fair.

Similarly, I bought my 245 GLT (a lovely car), sight unseen, from a gentleman living near Glasgow. I travelled up by train, he met me with the car at the station and drove me to his home where we discussed the car in detail over an excellent lunch. Formalities completed, I then proceeded to drive the 300 odd miles back home in my new car without incident (and a huge grin on my face!).

Over the ensuing years, both cars served me well; the 245 touring extensively in Scandinavia during my ownership. Yes, in time it needed a new clutch, exhaust system, etc., but what used car doesn't?

That is what I like about buying via the club or forum (since most cars are now advertised on here rather than in the magazine).

I have yet to buy a car via eBay, but am aware of the horror stories that some tell of buying via the internet. I have on occasion had less pleasant experiences when buying via an advertisement placed in a local newspaper in which the car had been less than accurately described. Then, Caveat Emptor most definitely applies!

Yes, I would trust a fellow forum member in such matters, 'Moomoo', unless, as you say, seeing the car in the metal proved otherwise. In fairness, I must confess that while, in that admittedly unlikely event, I would be naturally disappointed with the individual concerned, I hope that the experience would not jaundice my opinion of the vast majority of those who are both honest and straight-forward in their dealings with others.

Regards, John.

Last edited by john.wigley; Nov 29th, 2021 at 11:07.
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post: