View Single Post
Old May 4th, 2021, 19:11   #8
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgeandkira View Post
I'll always leave electronics to engine / fuel management.
No carburetor or bi-metallic air temperature regulation for me anymore.
I like anti-lock brakes too.
agree / disagree.. I dunno, obviously the world is a better place with accurate fuel metering and so on (and even dare I say hyrbids and batteries) but for the fun car that does like 1000 miles a year? I don't see it being a major issue tbh

some mechanical systems are just simpler and less prone to failure. I'll take a bi-metalic strip any day over a temperature gauge, relay, and electronic fan all connected to a ECU which is more complicated than Apollo 11

and anti lock brakes? they're great for anyone who panics and just stamps on the stop pedal but seriously it's not that hard to pump a pedal.. for me that's starting to go into the realms of real driving being a lost art. like gearboxes that rev for you when you downshift. eurgh. might as well just have P, R and D. I relish the sense of achievement when you drive a simple car really well

I still havent owned any car which was more fun to drive than a> my old 360gls or b> my old 1.3 16v civic which was totally stripped out. hearing and feeling everything working and learning mechanical sympathy. pure joy. you can keep your M3's and Ferraris

I cant wait till my boys are old enough to get in an old fiesta or something and I can just say go for it, dont be afraid to make it scream (within the speed limits obvs)

</rant>

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; May 4th, 2021 at 19:24.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote