Thread: PV: - Volvo PV544
View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2021, 09:11   #34
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... I should do some research rather than dive into buying the first PV544 I see on a whim.
I dunno about that! If you weren't especially worried about spending 10K on a whim perhaps research would spoil the adventure?

If you wanted the car to be used frequently like a "modern classic" then I'd view any possibilites in terms of what upgrades they have had. My car ended up having a whole load of stuff I had no idea about before I bought the car.

Things to look out for (if you want something that will be a bit more "modern")

I've got a B20 engine and a 4 speed gearbox, front disc brakes, a weber carb on the B20 (now quite a rare version if I remember correctly), earlyish Amazon front seats (meant to be more comfortable), it has a block heater, spot lights (the posh French ones - can't remember the name today!), electronic ignition, a variable speed wiper mod, a tow bar...

...it will have an electric cooling fan, a very different wiring loom, perhaps a heated rear window, some sound deadening, a new interior and a hidden sound system.

####

The reason why I bought my car on a whim was

1) a very attractive price
2) the styling looking at it from the back - it has a very nice bum
3) head room is brilliant for a large chap (no silly sunroofs in the way like in my W201 Mercedes)
4) spares availability and great online knowledge
5) originally well built
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Army For This Useful Post: