Thread: volvo recall
View Single Post
Old Dec 9th, 2006, 23:48   #7
Oli
VOC Member

Jen

The issue effects most petrol engined cars (S/C/V 70s, S80s, and maybe some others - there's a list in a thread/post somewhere on here) between 1999 and 2001 and some in to 2002.

BUT the Tdi engines are not effected.

In the classic shape for the V70, I think the XC AWD only came as a petrol engine, so yes, it is effected. However, if there is a diesel one, then it will not be.

If you're serious about getting a classic shape XC AWD, just be aware of the angle drive issues that is part of the AWD. It requires that all tyres have a tread depth within 2mm of each other, otherwise the angle drive can be damaged after prolonged use. I have the AWD system and it works really well, the grip and control are fab, and the tread ware is very even front and back, so not an issue, unless you have an unrepairable puncture, then you may need 4 new tyres. I'm happy taking the risk. If buying one, check the tyre depths all round, get the car on a ramp so that the angle drive can be inspected for oil leaks, make sure you've a warranty. The new shape XCs have a different system without the same restrictions.

Don't be put off. These cars are a minimum of 6 years old now, but most a lot older, and you still see a lot of them on the road. If maintained and loved, they can go on for a long time, still feeling like a luxury car. Most other brands have their own issues, just search the forums for Merc, BMW, etc. and you'll see.

Keep us posted

Oli
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote